The village grew on the edge of the Delaval Hall estate with the village centre located at the top of the tree lined avenue that ran from Delaval Hall. The top of the Avenue was marked by two magnificent pillars. Unfortunately they had to be significantly reduced when the A190 was built that links Seaton Delaval to the coast.
The village has a proud mining history. Seaton Delaval Colliery opened in 1838 and at its prime employed over 3,000 people. During this period the village centre was at the top of Double Row that was the location of the Collieries of Seaton Delaval and close-by New Hartley. During this time the mining community grew with housing, schools and a railway station all centred around the Double Row area. The Colliery finally closed on the 27 May 1960.
In more current times the village has centred around Avenue Head roundabout.
Seaton Delaval Community Centre
The Community Centre was built in the 1960's, the money was raised by the residents of Holywell and Seaton Delaval. So it is owned by the residents. It is run by a committee made up of members of the groups.
The Community Centre has two large halls a well equipped kitchen and an IT suite.
There is a large car park to the rear of the Community Centre.